Original Art Sumi-e, Chinese Style Oriental Brush Painting by Jo-An Frances
• High-Quality Genuine Wood
• Glossy Ceramic Insert
• Available in three colors: Ebony Black, Golden Oak & Red Mahogany
• Soft Felt Interior
• Box Specs: 5.5”(W) x 5.5”(L) x 2.25”(H) x 1.5”(D)
• Insert Specs: 4.25” x 4.25”
• Shipped in fitted box with protective foam wrap
In 1985 in Beijing, China, a driver took me to an eight-story building filled with practitioners of the ancient art of oriental brush painting. Something about the formalization and symbolism or the art and the involvement of the artist's whole being in the creation of a work appealed to me more than any other area of art ever had.
Upon return to the USA I signed up for a course in oriental brush painting and low and behold, I just picked up the brush and produced a painting on my first try. The paradox is the structure of the medium freed me.
Oriental brush painting is not simply making pictures. It's a process that involves preparing oneself physically and emotionally for the artistic undertaking.